Call for nominations: 2022/2023 NSTF-South32 Awards
The National Science and Technology Forum (NSTF) calls for nominations for the 25th NSTF-South32 Awards.
South African innovation in SET (science, engineering, and technology) is honoured with these renowned awards (SA). Since 2012, South32 has been a co-branding sponsor. Therefore, the awards are known as the National Science and Technology Foundation South by Southwest Awards (NSTF-South32 Awards).
NSTF’s theme for 2023: Ocean science for sustainable development. This theme was chosen in response to the United Nations (UN) proclamation of the decadal theme of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development for 2021-2030.
Special Annual Theme Award for 2023: The NSTF is making a special award this year for an outstanding contribution to SET and innovation through research and innovation in ocean science for sustainable development. This Special Award is intended to focus on research and innovation in ocean science in support of attaining the sustainable development goals (SDGs) in South Africa.
Contributions recognised: Register nominations for individuals, teams, partnerships and organisations for an outstanding contribution to SET and innovation in SA. The contributions recognised are in the following broad areas:
- Scientific research
- Management of SET and innovation and related activities
- Capacity building in engineering research
- Water management solutions
- Clinician-Scientists NEW
- The Green Economy
- Data for research
- Innovations and their research and/or development
- Communication and creating awareness of SET and innovation
- Non-governmental organisation activities, which could include technologytransfer, and education and training activities
- Ocean sciences for sustainable development
Award nomination process
This is a two-stage nomination process:
Stage 1 – Register a nomination by Thursday 15 December 2022
- Please note that the registration of a nomination is only the beginning of the two-stage nomination process. When you register a nominee, the NSTF Office will respond with the official category nomination form, to be completed by 3 March 2023 (Stage 2).
- Notify the nominee that you intend to nominate him/her/them (team/organisation). Ensure that you receive their agreement to participate.
- Complete and submit the online registration. The nominee will receive an email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org confirming receipt of the registration of their contact details. Please alert the NSTF Office at email@example.com should the nominee not receive this notification and the relevant forms (the subject line says: ‘Subscription Confirmation’).
Stage 2 – Submit completed nomination documents by Friday 3 March 2023
- Ensure that the fully completed nomination form/s that you received from the NSTF office are emailed to the NSTF before the final deadline and that you receive a confirmation from the NSTF Office.
- Please note that planning and time are required to complete the nomination document. Hence there is a two and a half months period (December to March) provided for this preparation.
For more information and a list of awards, and categories visit the NSTF website.