Post content

Austria – Annual Report

 “Austrian Nutrition Society”

1. The Austrian Nutrition Society
ANS is a registered, independent non-profit association and was founded in 1951. The main functions of the ANS are nutritional research, education and information in the field of nutrition and food. The work of the society is based on relevant scientific findings and is not influenced by economic or political interests.
ANS is active throughout Austria and maintain close contacts to similar organisations abroad. About 1060 persons are presently ANS members. Approximately 80% are individuals, one quarter is still in training. The remaining 20% are public or private run institutions, business associations or companies.

2. Elections of Society Board and Presidium
An important organizational event for the ANS members is its general assembly that took place during the annual meeting from 20.-21.11.08 in Vienna. The Board is a committee of 13 members from nutrition science and related disciplines was elected. The Board members work on a voluntarily basis and are appointed for three years

Results of the election :

Univ.-Prof. Dr. I. Elmadfa, Institute of Nutritional Sciences, University of Vienna

Ao. Univ.-Prof. DI, Dr. E. Berghofer, Dep. of Food Sciences and Technology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna

Univ.Ass.-Prof. Dr. P. Rust, Institute of Nutritional Sciences, University of Vienna

3. Partner Associations
As new cooperative partner (09.08) the ANS welcomes the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety (AGES).

4. Media of the ANS  

  • The Nutrition Journal Ernährung / Nutrition
    This scientific journal is the organ of the ANS. Published monthly, it is the Austrian Journal for Science, Technology, Law and Economy.
  • The Nutrition Journal Ernährung aktuell
    Scientific journal of the ANS. Published quarterly, it offers a source of various information and results derived from scientific studies for nutritional experts.
  • Website / Newsletter
    The Website and the electronic newsletter are important communication vehicle for ANS. Up-to-date food and nutrition information, details concerning the publications of the ANS as well as further media can be found on the website:
  • Fact Sheets / Position Papers
    Position Papers such as the summary statement of the Austrian expert meeting Health Significance of Fat quality of the Diet, Vienna, 27.03.09, can be found on ANS’s website. These papers are published in nutrition journals.

5. Important events

  • Annual Congress of the ANS in cooperation with IfEW, Health promotion – quality aspects of food and nutrition, Vienna, 10.-11.09.09
  • Annual Scientific Congress of the ANS in cooperation with IfEW , Methods of Investigation and Documentation of nutrition and health aspects in Austria, 20.-21.11.08, Vienna
  • The traditional three nations meeting of ANS; DGE and SGE, Enjoy and although healthy Eating – a whole lifetime, 05.09.-06.09.08, Zürich
  • Numerous of symposia
  • Several seminars for members and journalists

6. New projects (07/09)

  • Certification for well-balanced menus
    (nutritionaly analysed, criteria based on the reference values for nutrient intake and other sources of nutrition science,  independent audits)
    Officially accredited seal of high-quality menus in Austria, approved by the by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management.
    Target group: communal catering, institutional kitchen, residential settings
    Main goal: healthier choices for consumers eating out
  • Capacity Development (Training the trainers)
    „Akademie für Ernährung und Lebensmittelqualität“
    Target group: teachers and nursery school teachers
    Main goal: to promote healthy eating and food hygiene in primary schools and nursery schools.

7. Participation in various projects (08/09)

  • Federal Ministry for Education, Arts and Culture (quality standards for healthy schools)
  • Federal Ministry for Health, AGES (new food-based dietary guidelines and new austrian food pyramid)
  • Nutrition and consumer protection

8. Office
New official address (09.08):
Österreichische Gesellschaft für Ernährung
Austrian Nutrition Society
Zimmermanng. 3
1090 Wien
tel: +43/1/714 71 93
fax: +43/1/7186146