The closing date has been extended to 19 June 2022.
The Nevin S. Scrimshaw Prize honors a nutrition scientist who is 15 years or less past completing their highest degree for exceptional contributions to the field of nutrition.
Dr Scrimshaw’s career addressed nutritional challenges from laboratory to clinical research, to community nutrition and policy. The prize recipient shall represent one or several of these areas of research. Dr Scrimshaw emphasized mentoring and support for scientists in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and in his honor, the recipient of the Nevin S. Scrimshaw Prize shall be from one of these regions and shall have worked in one of these regions. The prize recipient will be expected to present a plenary session lecture at the IUNS-ICN meeting where the recipient’s prize is awarded and to subsequently submit a paper based on the lecture for publication in The Food and Nutrition Bulletin (FNB). The prize will consist of financial support for congress registration, travel, lodging, and meals related to attendance at the IUNS-ICN meeting for the recipient, support for publication in the FNB, and a monetary award of $5000.
Nomination criteria and process:
- A letter of nomination clearly outlining why the candidate merits the award. The letter should include (but is not limited to):
- The career trajectory of the candidate.
- Major contributions to a relevant area of laboratory or clinical research, community nutrition or policy with the potential to address nutritional challenges in Asia, Africa, and/or Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Contribution to mentoring of early career professionals in an area relevant to nutrition in these contexts.
- List of no more than 10 publications illustrative of these contributions.
- The letter may be no longer than 5 pages (including references).
- Name(s) and affiliation(s) of nominating individual(s).
- All nominations must be received through the IUNS award application platform (see application form below) before the indicated closing date.
- Late, incomplete, and self-nominations will not be accepted.
- All eligible nominations will be reviewed and scored by a panel of 3 judges (1 IUNS council member, 1 member of the Scrimshaw Foundation, and 1 member of the IUNS-ICN scientific committee). All decisions of the panel will be final.
- The award will be given to one individual every 4 years at the IUNS-ICN meeting. Individuals can be awarded only once. Unsuccessful nominations will not be carried forward but can be resubmitted through a new nomination process.
- Closing date for nominations has been extended
5 June 2022to 23:59pm 19 June 2022.
- The awardee will be notified by the end of June 2022.
- The award will be presented at the IUNS – ICN 2022, in Tokyo, Japan, from 6 – 11 December 2022.
Nevin S. Scrimshaw Prize Application Form
If you have any questions about applying for this prize, please contact us