Applications are invited to the Urban Studies Foundation’s International Fellowships for urban scholars from the Global South. Each award will cover the cost of a sabbatical period at a university of the candidate’s choice, worldwide, for the purpose of writing up the candidate’s existing research findings in the form of publishable articles and/or a book. Deadline: 9 May 2022
The award recognises early-career nutrition scientists, whether working in academia, policy or industry, who show great potential to be future leaders in the field. Applications are welcome from any country.
Applicants are required to complete an application form and submit an abstract that could be turned into a mini-review describing an emerging area of human nutrition science that would be suitable for submission to the British Nutrition Foundation’s peer-reviewed journal Nutrition Bulletin.
The winner receives a £500 honorarium and a year’s online subscription to Nutrition Bulletin upon acceptance of their review for publication.
Details of previous recipients of the award, along with the eligibility criteria and instructions for applying this year can be found here.
The deadline for applications for this award is midnight on 19 June 2022.
- The International Science Council is seeking to appoint a new Chief Executive Officer to lead the organization through its next stage of development. Reporting to the President and Governing Board, the CEO will lead the development and delivery of a compelling shared vision for the future of the ISC, enhancing its profile and maximizing its impact. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced leader to play an important and highly visible role in the continued development of the ISC and the delivery of its mission and vision. Please visit for more information, and share with your networks: https://council.science/appointment-of-chief-executive-officer/
- The International Science Council have a vacancy for a Junior Administration Officer. The position is based in Paris, France, on a permanent contract basis, and starting in mid-May 2022. https://council.science/vacancy-junior-administrative-officer/
The Australian IUNS Adhering Body, the Australian Academy of Science has a call for nominations for their 2023 honorific awards recognizing outstanding contributions to the advancement of science at the early, mid and career levels in several disciplines. The deadline is May 1 2022.
ISC webinar on the inclusion and participation of women in global science organizations
In the frame of the ISC Gender Equality in Science project (https://council.science/actionplan/gender-equality/), the ISC – together with GenderINSITE and the IAP – published a study in 2021 reporting on the inclusion and participation of women in more than 120 science organizations that are coordinated at a global level, finding that women are still under-represented. Join ISC for the related webinar presenting the findings of this study.
- Date: 24 March 2022
- Time: 14:00 – 16:00 UTC
- Register: https://council.science/events/inclusion-participation-women-global-science-organizations/
Call for action to support at-risk, displaced and refugee scientists
In the frame of the ISC Science in Exile project (https://council.science/actionplan/science-in-exile/) ISC invite you to attend our launch webinar of the declaration “Supporting at-risk, displaced and refugee scientists: A call to action”. The webinar will outline the key commitments necessary at a global level for immediate and long-term support and protection to scholars and scientists who are at-risk, displaced or refugees, to build a better future for them, science and society at large.
- Date: 14 March 2022
- Time: 12:00 – 13:30 UTC
- Register: https://council.science/events/science-in-exile-declaration-launch/
- The ISC “Leading Integrated Research for Agenda 2030 in Africa (LIRA)” programme was launched in 2016 to foster scientific contributions from Africa to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. With its conclusion in 2021, the ISC is now seeking nominations for team members of an evaluation group to prepare a review of the LIRA programme.
- We invite ISC Members and your networks to nominate candidates with experience in undertaking project evaluation to be considered for the review group by 22 March 2022 via https://council.science/current/news/call-evaluation-lira2030/.
Call for nominations for members of the LAC regional liaison committee
Following the launch of the new ISC regional presence in Latin America and the Caribbean in January, ISC invite nominations for candidates serving on the Liaison Committee of the ISC Regional Focal Point for the Latin American and Caribbean Region. Members of the committee will be involved in the development and delivery of a region-specific ISC work plan as well as the mobilization of active and continuous engagement of the regional ISC community over the next three years.
Please submit your nominations by 15 March via https://council.science/current/news/call-lac-liaison-committee/.
Visit the ISC website for more news and events
IAEA are happy to announce that their new Technical Cooperation (TC) Programme for the cycle 2024-2025. National, Regional and Inter-regional project concept notes for capacity building projects can now be prepared and submitted to the IAEA for consideration for funding.
If you have an interesting project idea, please get in contact with the National Liaison Officer (NLO) in your country immediately since the deadline for submitting project outlines to the IAEA is 30 April 2022. The NLO is the primary contact person between the IAEA and your country and will be able to provide guidance on the format and the process.
IAEA are proposing in the image above a few topics and isotope techniques for projects and possible stakeholders to involve from the beginning. Please consider how to align the project idea to priority developmental needs and national strategies in your country.
Please contact NAHRES (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you do not know who your NLO is or if you would need additional information.
To learn more about The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) programme on nutrition and how it enhances countries’ capabilities to combat malnutrition for better health throughout life, read their factsheet here.
The Einstein Foundation Berlin is offering an international award for promoting quality in research (€ 200,000 for individuals and institutions, € 100,000 for early career researchers, deadline: 30 April 2022)
The Einstein Foundation Award for Promoting Quality in Research aims to provide recognition and publicity for outstanding efforts that enhance the rigor, reliability, robustness, and transparency of research in the natural sciences, the social sciences, and the humanities, and stimulate awareness and activities fostering research quality among scientists, institutions, funders, and politicians. To acknowledge the outstanding role early career researchers (ECRs) have in promoting research quality, ECRs will be invited to propose projects that foster research quality and value. Projects will be competitively selected for funding and internationally showcased.